Monday 30 July 2012

Post #4

This article tells us, as university students, nothing that we do not already know as readers, but it does give us different simple strategies to approach teaching reading to our students. Reading a postcards or a timetable are not difficult, but if our students are more consciously aware of the purposes of these text and, in addition, can identify the conventions and parts of speech typically used in these texts, they can be more effective readers (and writers), because, when reading, they will be able to immediately look for the pattern of language typical of the medium. I remember when reading first engaged me. I was 18 years old and I read the book 1984. At the time, my reading vocabulary wasn’t very high, so the book was quite difficult for me to read. In order to get around the difficulty of vocabulary, I started reading with a dictionary. Every time I came across a difficult word I both looked it up in the dictionary and wrote it down, along with its definition, in a journal. After reading the entire book I reviewed all of the words and definitions that were written down in the journal. This is a great reading method to teach my students to increase their vocabularies.

No comments:

Post a Comment